Friday, July 30, 2010

japanese eating in america

So I was in charge of catering food for today's journal club. And I got japanese food. We had a pretty tight budget, so I got about 206 sushi for 26 people, and ordered some more beef negimaki and gyozas and vege tempura. So the sides were very well received. They were familiar food.

somehow sushi was not so familiar. Everyone seemed very concerned about what they were eating. In particular, there was a lot of the fish sushis left behind, you know those with a slice of tuna/salmon/yellowtail/whitefish on top of a clump of rice? And I thought those were the ones that most people will clamour for. Turns out people here have a certain repulsion against raw fish. but what is japanese food without fish! the fish was delicious, I had an amazing meal. There were quite a lot of peanut avocado rolls left also which were ingenious inventions. There were a couple of the Jack Roll, which has shrimp in mayo caviar, and Philly roll - smoked salmon with cream cheese and cucumber, left and those 2 were my predicted favourites cos I thought those probably suited the American taste buds more. And the vege sushis - mango avocado and cucumber; asparagus avocado and cucumber - those were very well received. it was very strange.

If I were better advised, I would have gotten double the amount of sides and half the amount of sushi.