Thursday, December 30, 2010

Crackers 5 days too late and a day too early

My christmas crackers must have been delayed by the terrible snowstorms in Europe. The original plan was to stick it on/below the christmas tree that my aunt always used to put up and get the kids to pick one out for themselves, crack them, and exchange the gifts in them. But it didn't come in time, and there was no christmas tree, and I was pretty much voiceless on Christmas Day.

It came in the mail 2 days ago, all deformed but not broken. My brothers, my mum and I all had our go at attempting to open the crackers so they will crack properly. And figuring out what was the sense in the riddles found in each cracker. There were those that said, Q: What do you call an underground train full of professors? A: A tube of smarties. or Q: What do you call someone who makes clothes for rabbits? A: Hairdresser (Hare-dresser). and we couldn't figure out what was so funny/smart about "what do you call a boomerang that doesn't come back? a stick." and couldn't understand "what do you give someone who has everything? antibiotics." and there were little games that came in the crackers, and a magic trick I couldn't figure out how to perform. It was a nice afternoon nonetheless, so thanks lw for that =)

Last night was probably one of the quietest countdowns I've ever had. We didn't miss out on the countdown purely because we could hear the countdowns from other parties upstairs/downstairs. We make such a big fuss about a day that doesn't change anything, just a closing, and a time when we come up with new year resolutions, or hope for a better year. Because a year is never good enough.

Today I am reminded, by its faint echoes, of the bell that tolls on the 1st of every month.