I can't believe this article (Finding the true riches in work) got published in ST, it's so counter-cultural, but so true. How chasing after status and money isn't going to bring you much happiness on its own. It's not like it's new to me, actually lately I find myself wondering a lot about whether what I'm going after is going to bring benefit to others. There was a point in time when I decided you can't go into research thinking I will cure this/that or I will come up with this/that vaccine. It's almost by luck that you are at the right place with the right people at the right time - any good scientist in the field could have come up the same idea but might not have the right resource or expertise. And often the question asked is quite far removed from the actual therapy that I'll think, this is not a helpful question to ask.
Most of the people I meet who are really happy in science are people who just love figuring out stuff, if it is helpful for therapy then that's a bonus. But then again, perhaps the scientists who really love what they do, are those who enjoy the endless question asking and experimenting while at the same time remain hopeful and convinced that their work is useful in the medical realm.