Saturday, April 05, 2014

5 bible verses often misused

These are from http://www.faithstreet.com/onfaith/2014/04/01/five-bible-verses-you-need-to-stop-misusing/31534

But in sum:
Jeremiah 29:11 “’For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you...’”
NOT all about me. NOT about my personal fulfillment. God may need to move me somewhere difficult so I can learn what it means to show who God is in this difficult place.

Romans 8:28 “We know that all things work together for good to those who love God . . . ”
“In all things, God works for the good of those who love him.” In other words, whatever your circumstances, good or bad, God is still fighting for you.
The happy ending promised is the ULTIMATE happy ending, the renewal of ALL THINGS. To quote N.T. Wright, “The world is still groaning, and we with it; but God is with us in the groaning, and will bring it out for good.”

Luke 11:9 "Ask and it will be given to you"
It’s not, “Ask for anything you want.” It’s more like, “Ask for my kingdom, and you will have it.”

Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me"
It's about contentment and hope. What Paul was saying is not so much “I can achieve anything,” but “I can endure anything” – which, in his case, included prison.

Matthew 26:11 "You will always have the poor among you"
Jesus was referencing Deut 15, where the writer says “There need be no poor people among you,” the writer insisted, “if only you fully obey.” A few lines later, he added, “There will always be poor people in the land.” This was a concession to reality, not an excuse for apathy. In fact, it was all the more reason to be openhanded with the poor.