Monday, January 18, 2016
Permanence
Does the idea of permanence make you anxious or does it comfort you? I find I've been oscillating between the two when I consider my upcoming wedding. Sometimes it makes me feel so thankful and loved, that someone else would consider me worthy of loving forever, that someone else would consider me someone that he could live with. But sometimes it makes me anxious, are you sure, you can't reverse this and go back to your old comfortable ways you know? Today I was reminded of the similarities between this experience of being joined with another to that of coming to believe in Christ. They are both a step into a completely new season. They both involve abandoning a past life to move into a new normal. They both involve taking on a new identity and changing habits. They both involve making a promise and coming under a covenant that I don't know whether I can keep. Underneath all the uncertainty, only one thing remains: the love and faithfulness of God whatever comes, that our lives are still in His hands, and that He is the only one who can sustain us, both as individuals and as a couple.